Last week I announced the launch of my market research product coming early 2020. To celebrate this glorious first coming, this week in The Responsible Marketing Community we'll dive deep into a bonus training on… you guessed it, Market Research.
This is cool because you’ll get to see my thoughts during this creation stage of the product.
So some of what you see this week will be outlines, prototypes, or ideas that don’t quite make the final cut…
… others will be theory, philosophy, and parrallel ideas…
… while still others will be me simply brain farting as I think through this powerful and illustrious topic.
To kick off this magnificent week, here are 17 Immutable Laws of Market Research:
1) Thou shalt respect thy market. Never talk down to them or think they’re stoopid. Good students deserve a teacher’s respect.
2) Vanquish all preconceived ideas. Opinions are overrated, especially in chivalrous marketing. Before you do a lick of market research, remember the old Zen adage of: Beginner’s Mind.
3) Honor thy customer.
4) What thy market says is not always what thy market does. Especially when it comes to what they’re buying.
5) There’s no such thing as too much market research.
6) Ask, and ye shall find. Ask the right questions, and ye shall find quicker and more effectively.
7) Covet thy neighbor's customers. And form strategic partnerships to share.
8) Banish the nagging naysayers. This may come from others or your very own internal citizens. Let them not steer you awry. After your research you may find you’ve been barking up the wrong canoe, but during your research, keep a ‘scientific’ view of discovery.
9) Thou shalt not steal marketing messages.
10) Thou shalt always seek to be first in the market.
11) Use ye online forums, review sites, customer service reports, testimonials, and any other idols thou can get thy hands on.
12) Ask questions. Listen. Ask follow up questions. Listen more.
13) Thou shalt always sell to buyers. Do not convert heathens or convince skeptics.
14) When settling in a new land, thou shalt build a moat to protect from warring tribes. This moat is what differentiates you from all the other brands out there.
15) Thou shalt reap’st what thou sow’st.
16) To perform market research once is human. To perform market research always is divine.
17) Thou shalt put no false idols above thy market.
And so, from the hands of Lord Tyronius of the McCune clan, the decree has been written.
If’st thou dost not follow these commands, thou shalt be tarred and featherd and forever banished from the walls of The Responsible Marketing Community...
Thou hast been warned.
P.S. Lord Tyronius has opened up a waitlist for the upcoming product. To get on the waitlist and get a super special introductory price? Click this link here: