Happy Turkey day to my Responsible Marketers across the land (some of you aren't in America, so if you aren't celebrating Thanksgiving, Happy Thursday!).
Here are six rules I live by that have helped me in every way imaginable. These aren't necessarily business or marketing related, but apply these to your life and you're almost guaranteed to be happier and more successful.
1) When it comes to giving 'the benefit of the doubt' be relentlessly generous. Give it to yourself and others in mash potatoes and gravy quantities.
2) Don't listen to the crowd. Listening is great. It's one of the best superpowers to have. But you and you alone are uniquely suited to solve the problems that you face. Don't let others steer your ship, or they may run you up on the rocks.
3) Curate your life heavily. Be careful who and what you let into your inner circle. Be the King or Queen of your land and protect it's borders unerringly for the good of your citizens.
4) Don't feel bad about feeling bad. If you're reading this, chances are you're extremely blessed in countless ways. Even so, being a lil human bean is hard. And sometimes that means feeling bad. When you feel bad, give yourself a break (lesson 1).
5) Do something to help someone every day. You probably already do this. With a favor, a thoughtful gesture, or even a kind word. But start doing this on purpose and others will begin to notice (and it will make you feel real good).
6) Be consistent. Whatever you do and whatever you want to get good at, do it daily. If you've found your mission, this shouldn't be hard. But we all get lazy. And when you're feeling lazy, that's the best time to get off your buns and get to work.
And as a bonus rule, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Go love and be loved. And thanks for being part of this little here community.